That's What They Tell Me...

That's What They Tell Me...

Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Drop Of Rain

...but just barely a drop, this past Wednesday.Much ado about nothing, really, but it was the first of the rainy season, and allowed me to forego watering for one day, at least.

Now, sitting out in my driveway, are many bags of organic compost and manure. Those, along with other soil ammendments, will be added to the three beds we framed up this past weekend. The beds are for the aproximately 200 onion plants I received today, awaiting me inside the front gate after work. They are from The Natural Gardening Company, in Petaluma Ca., the oldest organic nursery in the U.S. . To my shame, I failed to start my own onions from seeds, so I'm hoping the added expense is worth it. After a early a.m. trip to Santa Cruz this Saturday, I will work the beds and plant the onions. Garlic next weekend.

It is not light out till almost 6:45 these mornings, and is dark quite early in the evenings, as well. I installed low-voltage floodlights along some of my fence, at about 6 ft., and this makes it possible to do a bit of work in the morning before I start my commute to work.  But really, they are for working in the garden after I get home. In the depths of our winters, it is dark by 5:30 p.m., just one hour after arriving back at the house. I leave when it's dark, and get home when it is nearly so.The weather may be fine, but without light, what's a gardener to do, except look at seed catalogs, read, and get fat! Now, with a greenhouse equipped with electricity, and a well-lit garden, I can do something at night.

Before & After : 200 Onions In Less Than 36 Sq. Ft., 40 Each of Five Different Varieties


No comments:

Post a Comment