That's What They Tell Me...

That's What They Tell Me...

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Gardening On AutoPilot

Beginning of August, things are mostly taking care of themselves now. We're flush with summer squash, zuchini, cucumbers. Tomatoes and sweet peppers are beginning to dribble in, especially the Sungold cherry toms. They are wonderful.

By carefully selecting their (shady)location, and constantly watering to keep the soil cool, I've been able to keep lettuces growing deep into summer. Certainly, the relatively cool summer temps have aided my efforts, but the heat will soon be upon us, I fear.

Sweet corn is now tasseling, and is from 5 - 7+ feet tall! Can't wait. One bed of  spuds to dig yet, and will then plant carrots in their place for a fall/winter harvest. I have growing in flats - cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, cilantro, fennel, leeks. They have no place to go, currently, patiently awaiting space to free-up.

I have four beds planted to bush snap beans, a short row of climbing snap beans, sixteen tomato plants, and twelve pepper plants (sweet/bell), three aubergine, and some green onions. Will soon be starting onions in flats, thinking about ordering garlic , and always trying to figure ways of increasing production, and diversity. This WILL be the Autumn that I build the fruit cage, and put the remaining 40% of the garden on drip irrigation. I promise...I believe...I hope.....

No comments:

Post a Comment